Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In Passing/Written May 27, 1999

The man came from nowhere
He appeared with only a whisper and a smile
A breath of mists and curiousities
Alone and disregarded
His eyes held a glimpse of warm memories and forgotten futures
His smile was crooked as he laughed at the boy dancing across the street
His steps were paced to the tune of the old love song he whistled
Disruption clouded his happiness
I caught a glimpse of smile fade into a look of desperation, then return
As if he was trying to deny the realities of the world as he walked along the street
Trying to grasp happiness of youth
Trying to avoid the thoughts of bills and tiredness and too many cigarettes
I know that look so well
I have lived in it
The man passes with only a whisper and a smile
And I smile in hopes of passing it along to some other stranger in this world of broken dreams

1 comment:

Goofy McWanker said...

I picture you writing this from a park bench, observing the diversity of people as you love to do. I hope you still enjoy that past-time...slows down time, keeps you grounded.